The Government is continuing to provide funding to improve provision of Physical Education (P.E.) and sport in primary schools. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school Headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. The sport funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
The aims of the grant are to ensure children have the chance to:
- Enjoy P.E. and sport in school
- Compete against their peers
- Have the chance to achieve sporting excellence from a young age
The following measures have been put in place to hold schools accountable for their spending:
- Ofsted will strengthen its coverage of P.E. and Sport within the inspectors handbook and supporting guidance
- Schools will need to publish on their websites how they use the grant allocated to them