Sports Leaders: Sports Crew
What is a School Sport Organising Crew?
A School Sport Organising Crew (SSOC) is a group of young people who join together to develop, organise and promote school sport.
Why do schools need a School Sport Organising Crew?
A SSOC provides the opportunity for young people to do the following:
- Contribute to decisions about sporting activities and sports competitions in their school.
- Air views and have opinions listened to.
- Influence and shape school sport for their peers.
- Organise House Sport competitions within their school, and Inter-school competitions outside their school.
- Work with teachers to improve the standard of school sport.
- Organise a survey to find out what young people think of sport in their school.
Benefits of establishing a School Sport Organising Crew?
The SSOC is about young people organising and developing the School Games in their school, creating a culture in school within which young people are empowered to lead change.
Setting up a Sports Crew allowing children to:
- Take responsibility for their own learning.
- Show a desire to improve and achieve in relation to their own abilities.
- Set themselves attainable but aspirational goals.
- Work independently and collaboratively with their peers.
- Maximise participation in school work and life.
- Develop their leadership and life skills.